This single storey attached cottage forms the northern end of a complex of five attached cottages: the northern wall is built to the alignment of Kenton Street. Front wall is of sandstone with rendered and painted surrounds to door and window: northern wall is painted. The roof is hipped and ... Continue Reading »
Cottage with corrugated iron hip roof, bluestone front wall, and red brick side wall on Kenton Street (and presumably on the north side). The roof is hipped of corrugated galvanised iron, with a plain central brick chimney. The front verandah is concave corrugated iron, and has timber posts and cast ... Continue Reading »
Double-fronted cottage with bluestone front wall: northern wall to Kenton Street is painted. The roof is hipped of corrugated galvanised iron, with two rendered chimneys, each with decorative tops; there are paired brackets beneath the front eaves. The front verandah is concave corrugated iron, and has timber posts and simple ... Continue Reading »
These are single-storey cottages, built of bluestone. The roof is gabled and of corrugated iron. Quoins are rendered and painted, with decorative brackets at the roofline; gabled ends of the building feature brick coping. There is a concave verandah that extends across the front of the cottage. The brick chimneys ... Continue Reading »
The North Lodge was originally built as the head gardener's cottage in the Adelaide Botanic Gardens by Nimmo and McGee in 1866.
George Stevenson arrived in South Australia in H.M.S. Buffalo in December 1836 as Private Secretary to Governor John Hindmarsh, the Colony's first Governor. In June 1837 Stevenson became editor of South Australian Gazette and Colonial Register. A year after his arrival, in December ... Continue Reading »
This very simple cottage with its windows opening onto the footpath is a relic of the very early days of Adelaide. It was built before 1851.