Lincoln College – Baker Family House (former home)
This house now forms part (the East Building) of Lincoln College, a residential college of The University of Adelaide. It is one of the earliest surviving mansions built on Brougham Place. The back part of this house was built in 1861 for Isaac Solomon Henry. It was bought in 1873 by Sir Richard Baker for whom the street front was erected. Sir Richard was President of the Legislative Council from 1893 to 1901. He was one of the founding fathers of the Commonwealth of Australia and was the first President of its Senate, an office which he until 1906. After Sir Richard’s death in 1911 the house was bought by Thomas O’Halloran Giles. He died in 1958 and his widow lived here until 1961. In 1962 the building was sold to Lincoln College.
Current status and listings
NTSA Listed, State Heritage Listed
State Heritage ID:
Love this place!
(No Ratings Yet)
ADLheritage on TwitterTweets by ADLheritage
News and opinion by:
- NTSA Peacock (14)
- Walter Marsh (5)
Do you have a comment to share?