The Bushmen’s Club was a philanthropic initiative associated with John Howard Angas. The idea was to provide a ‘home’ in the city for South Australia’s itinerant bushmen. In 1870 the Club was established on Whitmore Square on the site of a house formerly occupied by Judge Cooper that had been built 30 years previously. The bluestone Club building constructed between 1871-72 facing Whitmore Square remains, adjacent to the William Booth Memorial Home. In 1899 the Club buildings were sold to the Salvation Army and became known as the Salvation Army Hostel.