There are records of houses on this site from 1842. The Hutt Street front of this house was built for Sir John Bray after he bought the property in 1880, and most probably designed by Rowland Rees, architect. It hides the house built about 1847 to the design of Sir George Kingston, architect, for Neville Blyth, who reached South Australia in 1839 and with his brother Sir Arthur Blyth owned an ironmonger’s shop in Hindley Street. The house was bought in 1865 by Sir Henry Ayers and was from 1871 to 1880 the home of his second son, H. L. Ayers.
The two-room-deep addition by Rees that dates from 1881 is a grand and unchanged example of Victorian Italianate architecture, having ornate veranda columns, iron lace and pediment over the entrance. It displays a form of construction indicative of the high Victorian era, with profusely rendered mouldings on the parapet and around doors and windows.
Sir John Bray was Premier of South Australia from 1881 to 1884. The house remained in the Bray family until it was acquired by the Adelaide City Council in 1973. The building has recently been restored and is used as corporate offices.