The Jervois Wing of the State Library of South Australia on North Terracewas built to a design attributed to C. T. Light between 1879 and 1884. On a solid stone base, it features semicircular arches above doors and windows, and octagonal towers. The Jervois Wing was built as the second home ... Continue Reading »
Content tagged with 'cultural precinct'
Early settlers in South Australia were protected by marines from H.M.S. Buffalo, which had brought Governor Hindmarsh, the first Governor, to the colony. Then in 1838, two years after settlement, when "undesirables" infiltrated the colony from New South Wales and Victoria, a force of ... Continue Reading »
The southern half of the Institute Building was completed in 1860 for the South Australian Institute a body created by Act of Parliament in 1856. It is historically significant as the oldest cultural building on North Terrace. It was the first permanent home of what are now termed the State ... Continue Reading »
The South Australian Museum's Eastern Wing is historically significant as the third of four wings planned in the 1870s to house what was then known as the South Australian Institute. The fourth wing planned to front North Terrace was never built. Officially opened in December 1915 it housed Natural History ... Continue Reading »
The Art Gallery of South Australia began as the National Art Gallery of South Australia once it separated from the South Australian Institute, which originally incorporated the Gallery, Library and Museum. The freestone for this building came from Murray Bridge. The foundation stone was laid in 1898 and the original building ... Continue Reading »
The Mitchell Building on North Terrace, the first building erected for the University of Adelaide, was designed by the Irish architect William McMinn and built by Brown and Thompson between 1879 and 1881. With St Peter's Cathedral it is the best example in Adelaide of the Gothic Revival from the ... Continue Reading »