The Western section of this wall building with 100 feet (30 metre) frontage was built about 1878; as part of the Brothers House and Hurley Wing. E. H. Bayer was the architect. The original building was demolished by the Adelaide City Council as part of the Frome Street scheme in ... Continue Reading »
Wakefield Street Sites
This house was built in 1883 by J. M. Wendt for his own occupation.
The former Our Boys Institute building is of heritage significance because of its association with the Our Boys Institute movement. Modelled on and supported by the Adelaide Branch of the YMCA the OBI fostered the physical and mental health of 13 to 18 year old boys and was a forerunner ... Continue Reading »
St Francis Xavier's is Adelaide's Catholic Cathedral. It is modelled architecturally upon Baylard Abbey Church in Yorkshire England. The southern section was begun in 1856. The design was modified by Pugin & Pugin (England), architects. The Cathedral complements the Treasury building opposite, the Law Courts and Police Station all of ... Continue Reading »
Built in 1887 to the design of Ernest H. Bayer, the block was originally one story. The original pitch of the gable can be seen in the stonework above the double window at the end of the ground floor. The second story was possibly part of works carried out under ... Continue Reading »