This house was built in 1883 by J. M. Wendt for his own occupation.
The Jervois Wing of the State Library of South Australia on North Terracewas built to a design attributed to C. T. Light between 1879 and 1884. On a solid stone base, it features semicircular arches above doors and windows, and octagonal towers. The Jervois Wing was built as the second home ... Continue Reading »
The Torrens Building is one of the State's most notable surviving purpose-built Government office buildings. Completed in 1881 it was the largest public building of its period and one of the largest buildings in the city. Other government office buildings of comparable significance that are State Heritage Places are the ... Continue Reading »
Dating from 1891-92, St Corantyn is a significant and well preserved example of the work of architect George Klewitz Soward. It was built for Soward's half-sister Eliza and her husband Charles Hornabrook who was the licencee of the York Hotel. The house is of relatively modern design though it retains ... Continue Reading »
St Andrews is one of Adelaide's grandest and most impressively sited residences comprising the original dwelling constructed in 1861-62 and a new wing built in about 1881. It was built by James MacGeorge for his own occupation. He was an architect of some note and had a sizeable practice embracing ... Continue Reading »
There are records of houses on this site from 1842. The Hutt Street front of this house was built for Sir John Bray after he bought the property in 1880, and most probably designed by Rowland Rees, architect. It hides the house built about 1847 to the design ... Continue Reading »
The original portion of Government House was completed in 1840 and designed by George S Kingston in the Georgian/Regency style. The building comprises two main wings- one facing east and one facing south. The original design was adapted from one made in London for a wooden structure by ... Continue Reading »
Ayers House, the last surviving private mansion on North Terrace, began its life as a much smaller home. The first section was built in 1846 for William Paxton, an Adelaide chemist. In 1855 it was purchased by Sir Henry Ayers, a prominent South Australian parliamentarian. He ... Continue Reading »
Rymill House is a two storied stone building in the style of the Dutch Renaissance, built in 1881 by Henry Rymill on the site of a house which he had demolished. The Coach house (which faces Hutt Street) matches the design of the house with stone walls of uncoursed ashlar, cemented brick ... Continue Reading »
This house, a one-storied version of 58 Brougham Place, was built in 1881 on what had long been the garden of F.S. Dutton's house, now demolished, which stood to the East. Dutton was twice Premier of South Australia, the second time in 1865; he resigned and became Agent-General in ... Continue Reading »
This house was built in 1867 for W.T. Cooper who lived there until 1885. In 1969, when it had become known as Bar Chambers and used as offices, Morgan and Gilbert describe is as 'an example of a well-mannered conversion of a mid-Victorian house to another use.' It continues to be used ... Continue Reading »
This house was built in 1856 as the Manse for the Wesleyan Church.
This house was built in 1882 for H.L. Ayers for his occupation and remained the home of the Harry Ayers family until 1940. With its great bay windows and its cast-iron trimmed veranda and balcony it was typical of its period and also the most important example. William McMinn was ... Continue Reading »
Flinders Street Baptist Church was completed in 1863 and is a State Heritage Place. Mead Hall was erected in 1867/70 and the manse in 1877. The Church the hall and the manse form an impressive group of ecclesiastical buildings the integrity of which is now rare in the City and ... Continue Reading »
Originally licensed as the Crown and Anchor Hotel on a site further along Elizabeth Street, the current Cumberland Arms Hotel building dates from 1883 and was designed by H C Richardson for Sir Edwin T Smith brewer and philanthropist. The building has however also been attributed to Rowland Rees as ... Continue Reading »
Adelaide Arcade is a well preserved example of a Victorian shopping arcade. The Arcade runs between Rundle Mall (formerly Street) and Grenfell Street. It is lined with small speciality shops on the ground floor and small businesses on the upper level. The façades are each surmounted by an octagonal dome bearing a ... Continue Reading »