interiors Sites

Bank of South Australia Head Office Building

The former ANZ  Bank Building in King William Street, Adelaide, now owned by the South Australian Government and named Edmund Wright House, was designed by E. W. Wright and was built in 1875-78 as the Bank of South Australia. The building is notable for its architectural accomplishment and the significant ... Continue Reading »

State Library of South Australia – Jervois Wing

The Jervois Wing of the State Library of South Australia on North Terracewas built to a design attributed to C. T. Light between 1879 and 1884.  On a solid stone base, it features semicircular arches above doors and windows, and octagonal towers. The Jervois Wing was built as the second home ... Continue Reading »

Eothen – House

Dating from 1891-92, St Corantyn is a significant and well preserved example of the work of architect George Klewitz Soward. It was built for Soward's half-sister Eliza and her husband Charles Hornabrook who was the licencee of the York Hotel.  The house is of relatively modern design though it retains ... Continue Reading »

Ayers House

Ayers House, the last surviving private mansion on North Terrace, began its life as a much smaller home. The first section was built in 1846 for William Paxton, an Adelaide chemist. In 1855 it was purchased by Sir Henry Ayers, a prominent South Australian parliamentarian. He ... Continue Reading »

Holy Trinity Church

Holy Trinity Church
Holy Trinity Church was the first Anglican church built in South Australia and is one of the oldest buildings in the City of Adelaide. Colonel William Light, Surveyor-General for the colony of South Australia allocated the site on Lot 9, before the general ... Continue Reading »

Taylor House

Taylor House
Taylor House was built around 1908-09 for W.D. Taylor, proprietor of the Lion Timber Mills. It was owned within the Taylor family until 1960 when it was purchased by the Adelaide Children's Hospital.  Like many other Brougham Place mansions it is used as medical offices. The ... Continue Reading »

Cumberland Arms Hotel

Originally licensed as the Crown and Anchor Hotel on a site further along Elizabeth Street, the current Cumberland Arms Hotel building dates from 1883 and was designed by H C Richardson for Sir Edwin T Smith brewer and philanthropist.  The building has however also been attributed to Rowland Rees as ... Continue Reading »

Adelaide Arcade

Adelaide Arcade
Adelaide Arcade is a well preserved example of a Victorian shopping arcade. The Arcade runs between Rundle Mall (formerly Street) and Grenfell Street. It is lined with small speciality shops on the ground floor and small businesses on the upper level. The façades are each surmounted by an octagonal dome bearing a ... Continue Reading »

South Australian Brewing Company Building

South Australian Brewing Company Building
This building is of historical significance because of its association with the South Australian Brewing Company for which it was built in 1940-41 as the administrative headquarters. They were sited near the now demolished West End  brewery which moved to Southwark in 1980.The building is architecturally significant as a design ... Continue Reading »