St Andrew’s – House
St Andrews is one of Adelaide’s grandest and most impressively sited residences comprising the original dwelling constructed in 1861-62 and a new wing built in about 1881. It was built by James MacGeorge for his own occupation. He was an architect of some note and had a sizeable practice embracing all the developed areas of the colony in the late 1850s. St Andrews is also significant for its association with David Murray one of Adelaide’s most successful merchants at the time of his purchasing it in 1880. Murray arrived in South Australia in 1853 and soon after began the drapery business of D & W Murray the firm expanding to become that of wholesale warehousing and shirt and boot making. Later offices were opened in London, Melbourne, Sydney, Brisbane, Launceston, Townsville, Rockhampton and Broken Hill. Murray also served as an MP for several years was a founder of the Adelaide YMCA donated money for a library at the SA School of Mines and Industries and all his prints and engravings to what is now the Art Gallery of South Australia.