South Australian Institute Building
The southern half of the Institute Building was completed in 1860 for the South Australian Institute a body created by Act of Parliament in 1856. It is historically significant as the oldest cultural building on North Terrace. It was the first permanent home of what are now termed the State Library and South Australian Museum and also provided quarters for some important learned societies. The northern half was opened in 1907. The building is now part of the State Library complex.