This is a narrow three-storey Victorian commercial building built to James Place frontage for the Goode Brothers in the 1870's. Bluestone upper storeys with cream-painted brick quoins, painted brick side walls, painted render below first floor windows and at ground level. Upper storeys are intact including sashed windows flanking large ... Continue Reading »
This is a single storey shop on the southeast corner of Hindley and Morphett Streets: the design of the shop acknowledges this with the chamfered corner. The ground floor has altered greatly, but the first floor retains original detailing. The walling is of rendered and painted masonry with a parapet ... Continue Reading »
This is a surviving portion of a larger building. It is of two storeys. The ground floor shopfront has been altered, but the remainder of the northern elevation appears original. The walling is of masonry that has been painted; quoins and door surrounds are rendered. There is a balustraded parapet ... Continue Reading »
A two-storey building built to the Gouger Street alignment. The ground floor has been altered, but the first floor of the southern elevation retains original detailing. The fabric is masonry that has been rendered and painted. There is a parapet, dentilled cornice across the southern elevation and a central pediment ... Continue Reading »
These shops known as Allans Building is a warehouse designed by Edmund Wright and James Reed in 1886 as an extension to the original Harris Scarfe warehouse in Gawler Place and adjacent to this building. At this time, Sir Henry Ayers and William Kay were joint tenants of the property. ... Continue Reading »
The former Oriental Hotel is a five-storey corner building constructed to the former Rundle Street and Gawler Place alignment on site of an earlier two-storey Hamburg Hotel. First two floors built of stone but upper three floors of painted rendered brick. Imitation stone coursing and leafy scroll pattern on vertical ... Continue Reading »
Two-storey former shop and residence built to the Franklin Street alignment. Front elevation is of sandstone with rendered quoins and window and door surrounds: visible side walls are of random bluestone. Roof is hipped and of corrugated galvanised iron; there are paired brackets beneath the eaves. Photographs of 1992 show ... Continue Reading »
Erected in 1878, this dwelling and a shop which retains the original iron-formed window were built for Sir William Bundey when he was Attorney-General. Today it is a private home.
The Beehive Corner Building (1897) is a rare example of commercial Gothic Revival architecture in Adelaide. It was extensively restored in the 1990s. The building is associated with and named after the corner site which has been traditionally known as the Beehive Corner since the 1840s. Messrs Brewer and Robertson ... Continue Reading »
The Grand Central Hotel, on the south-east corner of Rundle Street and Pulteney Street, was in its heyday Adelaide's Dorchester. It was built in 1910 on the site of the York Hotel. The giant facades were decorated with a complex pattern of string courses, pilasters ... Continue Reading »
This building dates from 1878, its interesting shop front has been preserved, although it is now a private home.
Adelaide Arcade is a well preserved example of a Victorian shopping arcade. The Arcade runs between Rundle Mall (formerly Street) and Grenfell Street. It is lined with small speciality shops on the ground floor and small businesses on the upper level. The façades are each surmounted by an octagonal dome bearing a ... Continue Reading »