Religious Sites

Christ Church (Anglican)

There is no doubt that this limestone church with its detailing in the English Norman style was designed by Henry Stuckey, architect, and that it was begun in 1848; but probably only the choir and transept were erected in Stuckey's lifetime, the apse being built after his death in 1851 ... Continue Reading »

Christian Brothers College – Western Wall

The Western section of this wall building with 100 feet (30 metre) frontage was built about 1878; as part of the Brothers House and Hurley Wing. E. H. Bayer was the architect.  The original building was demolished by the Adelaide City Council as part of the Frome Street scheme in ... Continue Reading »

Bishop’s Court

Bishop’s Court
Bishop's Court is a two storey steep roofed stone building of English domestic style with a Tudor influence. Built as residence for the Bishop of Adelaide, by the first Bishop of Adelaide (Bishop Augustus Short) . The building is constructed in limestone, cut stone and ... Continue Reading »

Archbishop’s House

The Archbishop's House was built in 1845 to the design of the notable early architect George S Kingston. It was subsequently altered in 1860, 1882, 1918 ,1935 and 1936. Historically it is associated with Dr. Murphy and has been the residence of all subsequent Catholic Bishops. It is one of ... Continue Reading »

Congregational Church

Congregational Church
This church the classic grace of which so grandly crowns the hill, was begun in 1860 but was not finished until twelve years later.  It is the most baroque of Adelaide's nineteenth century churches and its design appears to owe something to Thomas Archer's St. Phillips, Birmingham, in ... Continue Reading »

Stow Memorial Church Manse

The primary significance of the former Stow Memorial Church Manse later known as the Attorney-General's building lies in its intervening use as a private sanatorium under the ownership and control of Dr Timothy A Hynes. In 1901 Dr Hynes purchased the property from the Congregational Church and commissioned the architectural ... Continue Reading »

Bethlehem Lutheran Church

Bethlehem Lutheran Church
This church was built in 1872 of bluestone with much stucco; this is particularly evident in the tower with its squat spire where, as on the quoins, the stucco is lined to imitate stone.  The circular windows, with their heavy tracery, are a feature of the building. The building has had many ... Continue Reading »

Holy Trinity Church

Holy Trinity Church
Holy Trinity Church was the first Anglican church built in South Australia and is one of the oldest buildings in the City of Adelaide. Colonel William Light, Surveyor-General for the colony of South Australia allocated the site on Lot 9, before the general ... Continue Reading »

Masonic Hall – North Adelaide

Masonic Hall – North Adelaide
Belmont was completed in 1858 for the North Adelaide Masonic and Public Hall Association and designed by Edmund Wright in the Roman Doric style which has symbolic significance for Freemasons. It is of historical significance as an early purpose-built masonic hall - many of the early lodges met ... Continue Reading »

Christ Church Rectory

Christ Church Rectory
Christ Church Rectory in Palmer Place, North Adelaide, is one of the most imposing limestone buildings in South Australia.  The style of the building with its brick dressings owes much to contemporary rectories in England though this style stems from cottages of the early seventeenth century.  It was built in ... Continue Reading »

Pirie Street Methodist Church

This church, which was designed by Henry Stuckey, was begun in 1850 and finished in 1852, a year after the architect's death, so like other work of that architect he did not live to see it finished. It is less interesting than his other work; perhaps this demonstrates how much ... Continue Reading »

Scots Church – North Terrace

Scots Church was built in 1850-51 and was originally known as Chalmers' Free Church, a congregation of migrant Scottish free churchmen. The 120-foot (37 metre) spire which once dominated North Terrace was added in the late 1850s and the southern section in the early 1860s. Chalmers Church combined with the Flinders Street ... Continue Reading »

Scots Church – Flinders Street

The foundation stone of Scots Church in Flinders Street was laid in 1863 but the church was not ready for worship until 1865. It was built at a cost of 4,423 Pounds, and the detailed design was the work of George Abbott and the builder was Michael McMullen. The shape ... Continue Reading »

St Mary Magdalene’s Anglican Church

St Mary Magdalene’s Anglican Church
Built in 1887, St Mary Magdalene's was established mission church of St John's Anglican Church on the site of the old St John's church.  It was designed in the Gothic Style by R. Garlick Howell and built of brick and bluestone re-used from the earlier church.

St Francis Xavier’s Catholic Cathedral

St Francis Xavier’s Catholic Cathedral
St Francis Xavier's is Adelaide's Catholic Cathedral. It is modelled architecturally upon Baylard Abbey Church in Yorkshire England.  The southern section was begun in 1856. The design was modified by Pugin & Pugin (England), architects.  The Cathedral complements the Treasury building opposite, the Law Courts and Police Station all of ... Continue Reading »

Stow Memorial Church

Stow Memorial Church
The original name for this church commemorates the Reverend Thomas Quinton Stow, who arrived in Adelaide on 20 October 1837 as the first minister of the Congregational Church. Land adjoining the Treasury Building facing Victoria Square in Flinders Street was purchased in 1863 at a cost of £1,000 as ... Continue Reading »

St Peter’s Anglican Cathedral

St Peter’s Anglican Cathedral
St Peter's Anglican Cathedral is one of Adelaide's most significant architectural landmarks. The original design of the Cathedral was the work of the English architect William Butterfield, but owing to a disagreement over materials to be used, work began under architect E. J. Woods. The foundation stone was laid by ... Continue Reading »

Adelaide Mosque

Adelaide Mosque
Built in 1889-90, The mosque was built by the small Afghan community of South Australia. The four minarets were added by 1903. It is the only mosque within the square mile of Adelaide. The Adelaide Mosque is historically significant as one of the few relics of Afghan immigration to South Australia ... Continue Reading »

Stow Hall

Stow Church Hall, built in 1872, was the work of the architect James Cumming; the builders were Brown and Thompson. It was part of the Congregational Church and comprised a lecture hall, a schoolroom and classrooms for Sunday school. Again the main decoration detail, apart from the stonework, was patterned ... Continue Reading »

Wesleyan Manse

Wesleyan Manse
This house was built in 1856 as the Manse for the Wesleyan Church.

St Paul’s Schoolroom

The schoolroom (now Flinders Hall) formed part of the complex of St Paul's Anglican church which also included a rectory. It was used as an Anglican church school between 1874 and 1950 when it was sold to Hamilton Laboratories, who still operate from the premises today. The building was designed by E.J. ... Continue Reading »

Flinders Street Baptist Church

Flinders Street Baptist Church
Flinders Street Baptist Church was completed in 1863 and is a State Heritage Place. Mead Hall was erected in 1867/70 and the manse in 1877. The Church the hall and the manse form an impressive group of ecclesiastical buildings the integrity of which is now rare in the City and ... Continue Reading »

Primitive Methodist Church Building

The Meeting House of the Primitive Methodist Church was built in 1847. Later it became the Lutheran Church and by 1881 the Methodist Free Church. In 1969 Morgan and Gilbert observed, " this little building has seen more dignified days". In 1971 it was demolished.

Draper Memorial Church

Draper Memorial Church
This church on Gilbert Street, with its interesting Gothic spire, was designed for the Wesleyan Church in 1867 by James Cumming, architect. It was then called the Draper Memorial Church, after the Reverend D.J. Draper, who was drowned when the London sank in 1866. It was later known as the Apostolic Church.  The ... Continue Reading »

St Paul’s Rectory

St Paul’s Rectory
The rectory formed part of the complex of St Paul's Anglican church which also included a school house.  An architect for the rectory has not been identified, although the church was designed by James Cumming.  In 1969,Morgan and Gilbert observed of the rectory,  'This stone building with brick dressings is ... Continue Reading »

Quaker (Society of Friends) Meeting House

Quaker (Society of Friends) Meeting House
Among the early arrivals in South Australia was John Barton Hack, a member of the Society of Friends, or Quakers as they are also known. In 1839 he donated an allotment of land in Pennington Terrace, North Adelaide, upon part of which the Meeting House now stands.  The prefabricated timber building ... Continue Reading »