This is a narrow three-storey Victorian commercial building built to James Place frontage for the Goode Brothers in the 1870's. Bluestone upper storeys with cream-painted brick quoins, painted brick side walls, painted render below first floor windows and at ground level. Upper storeys are intact including sashed windows flanking large ... Continue Reading »
The former Oriental Hotel is a five-storey corner building constructed to the former Rundle Street and Gawler Place alignment on site of an earlier two-storey Hamburg Hotel. First two floors built of stone but upper three floors of painted rendered brick. Imitation stone coursing and leafy scroll pattern on vertical ... Continue Reading »
This building, in which the Crown and Sceptre nestle so effectively in the small pediment, was designed in 1877 by William Mc Minn for William Hubble. The façade to the street has lost something with the erection of a canopy over the pavement. The Crown and Sceptre Hotel is architecturally significant as an ... Continue Reading »
The Gresham Hotel, on the southwest corner of North Terrace and King William Street, stood on one of Adelaide's most prominent commercial sites. Built in 1873-74, the architect was possibly Daniel Garlick. A plain building, it had a large cast iron verandah and balcony, with columns grouped in pairs to ... Continue Reading »
The Imperial Hotel, on the northeast corner of King William and Grenfell Street, was built in 1866 for Asher Hamm. Michael McMullen was the architect. A three-storied stuccoed building, it had two shops on the King William Street frontage as well as the usual hotel facilities. A similar building in ... Continue Reading »
The Castle Inn, on the northwest corner of Morphett and Hindley Streets, was demolished in 1966. It was replaced by The Town House in 1972, later The Barron Townhouse and now the Rockford.
The Stag, opened in 1849, was for many years a prominent landmark. In the 1850's the early inn was a busy centre and the rear of the premises was practically the beginnings of the East End Markets. Substantial stock yards, a weighbridge, and large stables provided accommodation of horses and ... Continue Reading »
The Grand Central Hotel, on the south-east corner of Rundle Street and Pulteney Street, was in its heyday Adelaide's Dorchester. It was built in 1910 on the site of the York Hotel. The giant facades were decorated with a complex pattern of string courses, pilasters ... Continue Reading »
The Black Eagle hotel was licensed on the site at the corner of Pirie Street and Hindmarsh Square from 1859. It was built for Benjamin Da Costa. Later, the hotel was known as the Marquis of Queensbury and then from 1894 as the Aurora. The painter Hans Heysen was ... Continue Reading »
At this site on 11 January 1837, barely two weeks after the Proclamation of South Australia's new colonial government, Colonel William Light began his famous survey to lay out the city of Adelaide and its 1000 saleable lots from a point near what was later known as Town Acre 1. An ... Continue Reading »
The current hotel was built in 1876 on the site of the King's Head Inn, which was first licensed in 1848. The cantilevered balcony, with wooden railings that Morgan and Gilbert described as having 'a Chinese Chippendale flavour' has been preserved.
Sketches of the original Rob Roy Hotel date back to 1850. It was first licensed ten years earlier in 1840, making it second only to the Queen's Head in North Adelaide as the longest continuously operating hotel in Adelaide. It is named for the famous Scottish Outlaw ... Continue Reading »
The western half of this hotel was built in 1857. The cantilevered balcony dates from the extension to the building about 1875. A veranda removed in 1961 was been restored.
This was built in 1856 as Sir John Franklin Inn. The verandah and balcony appear to have been added about twenty-five years later. It continues to operate as a hotel more than 150 years later, making it one of the oldest in South Australia.
The hotel was originally built in 1864. It was significantly changed over time. The building was demolished in 2010 and the site remains vacant.
The current Tivoli Hotel occupies a site that has been associated with entertainment since 1846. The main hotel building facing Pirie Street was designed by Rowland Rees, architect and dates from 1878. The balcony, with its coupled wooden posts and delightful balustrade, rests on carved wood brackets. The hotel at ... Continue Reading »
Originally licensed as the Crown and Anchor Hotel on a site further along Elizabeth Street, the current Cumberland Arms Hotel building dates from 1883 and was designed by H C Richardson for Sir Edwin T Smith brewer and philanthropist. The building has however also been attributed to Rowland Rees as ... Continue Reading »
This was designed by Michael McMullen, architect, for R. Vaughan and built by J. Barry in 1876-7. The fine terrace of houses to the west (Botanic Chambers) with two storeys and a basement was contemporary and was designed by the same architect. The hotel is a little reminiscent of a ... Continue Reading »
A coaching inn called the City Arms was built on this site in 1841, kept by Richard Pepperell until 1845. The new building was erected in 1881 and was licensed as the United Services until 1931 when it became the Hotel Ambassadors. It has been significantly modified over time. The ... Continue Reading »