The Imperial Hotel, on the northeast corner of King William and Grenfell Street, was built in 1866 for Asher Hamm. Michael McMullen was the architect. A three-storied stuccoed building, it had two shops on the King William Street frontage as well as the usual hotel facilities. A similar building in King William street was Rigby’s premises of 1875. The Union Club occupied most of the first floor of the hotel and the third floor had a billiard room and bedrooms. It was demolished in 1960 for the National Mutual Building, built in 1961.