Grand Central Hotel
The Grand Central Hotel, on the south-east corner of Rundle Street and Pulteney Street, was in its heyday Adelaide’s Dorchester. It was built in 1910 on the site of the York Hotel. The giant facades were decorated with a complex pattern of string courses, pilasters and mouldings of every description. The bay windows rose to almost the full height of the building, and the corner bow window was capped with an open turret. The hotel did not prosper, although it had many important and colourful guests, including the Prince of Wales in 1920, and in 1926 it was bought by Foy and Gibson’s an Adelaide department store.
Unsuitable cantilever verandahs replaced the cast-iron one in 1938, and the building was sold to the Electricity Trust of South Australia when Foy and Gibson moved elsewhere in Rundle Street. Its demolition by the state government in 1975-76 to build a multi-storey carpark was unfortunate, for although strictly an Edwardian building, it was the only example of giant high Victorian style that Adelaide possessed.
The site is now known as the Rundle Street carpark, recently adorned by the Rundle Street ‘lantern’.