Goode Brothers Warehouse (later Marakesh Hotel)

Location:
Also known as:
Marrakesh Hotel
Constructed:
1871 to 1878

This is a narrow three-storey Victorian commercial building built to James Place frontage for the Goode Brothers in the 1870’s. Bluestone upper storeys with cream-painted brick quoins, painted brick side walls, painted render below first floor windows and at ground level. Upper storeys are intact including sashed windows flanking large central casement window (opens onto bar/dining room, reached by a narrow stair). Rear windows also on upper back (western) wall.

The assessment includes the whole of the building but excludes ground floor alterations, including entrances, windows and signage.

Except for ground floor, the integrity of the original building is high and it is in good condition. There is potential for restoration of the façade at street level although the present features (and the upstairs bar) form important parts of the building’s history.

This building has served two distinct commercial purposes reflecting the changing nature of trade in the city centre: in the nineteenth and early twentieth centuries it was a drapery and clothing store and warehouse; 100 years later it became a wine bar and ‘hotel without accommodation’.

The building has strong associations with the Waterhouse and Goode families, two prominent merchant dynasties who prospered in colonial Adelaide.

It continued in use as a shop and warehouse, including by the National Clothing Manufacturing Co Ltd in 1920. From 1963 the ground floor was operated as the Pineapple Crush Bar when the building was purchased by the company of the same name. A photograph from 1963 shows the building still with its original ground floor.  During the 1970’s a bottle shop and bar (The Marrakesh Hotel) replaced the office and shop.

This building has been assessed as meeting local heritage criteria in accordance with the Development Act (1993).  However, despite its nomination for heritage listing by the Adelaide City Council, the Minister for Planning has refused to approve the listing, leaving this building without heritage protection.

Current status and listings

ACH Status:
stable
Heritage Protection:
Unprotected

Love this place!

Love this place! (3 votes, average: 0.33 out of 1)
Loading...Loading...

More information:

Purpose/Use:
Materials Used:

Significance:

The building is of heritage value because it retains original fabric, including bluestone, and good quality external detailing, and the scale and form of Victorian buildings that once predominated in this area; for its close association with prominent businessmen in both the nineteenth and the twentieth centuries; and for the manner in which it reflects the changing commercial nature of central Adelaide, and contributes to one of the city’s liveliest lanes.

This building has served two distinct commercial purposes reflecting the changing nature of trade in the city centre: in the nineteenth and early twentieth centuries it was a drapery and clothing store and warehouse; 100 years later it became a wine bar and ‘hotel without accommodation’. The building has strong associations with the Waterhouse and Goode families, two prominent merchant dynasties who prospered in colonial Adelaide. It illustrates several key themes in the city’s history: 2.5 City Dwellers: City, state and business leaders; 3.1.1 Early Development Patterns; 3.5.1 A City of Pubs; 3.5.2 Retail and Wholesale Industry; 3.5.5 Warehousing; 3.7 Working Men and Women; 4.3 Development of the Building Industry, Architecture and Construction; 4.7.1 Adaptive re-use; 6.2.3 Hotels, Bars and Wineshops.

Do you have a comment to share?

Add your comment, story and photo here:

You may upload images that are no larger than 1MB, and to only jpeg, png, gif file types.

Current ye@r *