Cumberland Arms Hotel
Originally licensed as the Crown and Anchor Hotel on a site further along Elizabeth Street, the current Cumberland Arms Hotel building dates from 1883 and was designed by H C Richardson for Sir Edwin T Smith brewer and philanthropist. The building has however also been attributed to Rowland Rees as it contains many elements of his exuberant design style. The building has lost its crowning glory, a towering enrichment above the parapet.
It is a typical corner hotel with chamfered corner and verandah/balcony but features some ebullient detailing which makes it out of the ordinary. It also serves as a reminder of the once dense residential development in the west end of Adelaide. The interior is significant for its fine entrance hall and staircase and for its upstairs rooms being largely intact.