Cottages at 275-277 Angas Street
These are single-storey cottages, built of bluestone. The roof is gabled and of corrugated iron. Quoins are rendered and painted, with decorative brackets at the roofline; gabled ends of the building feature brick coping. There is a concave verandah that extends across the front of the cottage. The brick chimneys feature decorative tops. Front windows and door surrounds have been rendered. Door and window frames are of timber with a front timber-panelled door and double-hung sash windows. Additions have been made to the rear of the cottage.
The assessment includes the form of the original cottage beneath the front gabled section, the front verandah, and traditional treatment of window and door surrounds. The cottage is complemented by the front fence of bluestone with rendered masonry pillars and cast iron railings..
The assessment does not include additions to the rear nor interior detailing.
The essential form of the dwelling remains evident.
This building has been assessed as meeting local heritage criteria in accordance with the Development Act (1993). However, despite its nomination for heritage listing by the Adelaide City Council, the Minister for Planning has refused to approve the listing, leaving this building unprotected.
Current status and listings
This attached cottage was constructed on portion of Town Acre 423 that was originally granted to George Fife Angas and others (the South Australian Company) on 23 December 1837.
The Smith Survey confirms that the dwelling was built prior to 1880.
This item is of heritage value because it is an early bluestone cottage that retains much of its original fabric, reflects its original form and features and character of the early residential occupation of the area. It illustrates several key themes in the city’s history: 2.4 City Dwellers: Householders, Boarders and Tenants; 4.3 Development of the Building Industry, Architecture and Construction; and 4.5.2 Victorian Houses (1870s to 1890s).