Cottage at 14 Cardwell Street
Double-fronted cottage with bluestone front wall: northern wall to Kenton Street is painted. The roof is hipped of corrugated galvanised iron, with two rendered chimneys, each with decorative tops; there are paired brackets beneath the front eaves. The front verandah is concave corrugated iron, and has timber posts and simple timber brackets. There are rendered and banded quoins and rendered and painted door and window surrounds; door and windows are timber-framed, the windows of double-hung sash. There is a high metal fence at the street alignment.
It is private home.
This building has been assessed as meeting local heritage criteria in accordance with the Development Act (1993). However, despite its nomination for heritage listing by the Adelaide City Council, the Minister for Planning has refused to approve the listing, leaving this building without heritage protection.
Current status and listings
This building is of heritage value because it is an early dwelling that retains original fabric, reflects original form and features of the early residential occupation of the area and complements other dwellings in the area. It illustrates several key themes in the city’s history: 2.4 City Dwellers: Householders, Boarders and Tenants; 4.3 Development of the Building Industry, Architecture and Construction; 4.5.2 Victorian Houses (1870s to 1890s); 4.6 Heritage and Building Conservation.
This cottage was constructed on portion of Town Acre 351 that was originally granted to George Fife Angas and others (the South Australian Company) on 23 December 1837.
Over time, the land was subdivided and in December 1893, land and estate agents Frederick Bullock and James Viner Smith sold the site—measuring 35.3 ft x 90 ft—to Charles Patrick Wauchope, clerk of Adelaide, for £523.
Assessment records for 1894 (adopted 11 November 1893) indicate that the land was vacant. However, by the following year Charles Wauchope is noted as living in a house owned by F W Bullock & Co. in Cardwell Street on Town Acre 351. It seems likely that Bullock and Viner Smith erected the cottage before Wauchope became the registered owner.