Carclew – House
The first house on this site was built by James Chambers in 1840. The expedition led by John McDouall Stuart to cross the Australian continent from South to North left from this site on 25 October 1861. The house was later owned by Sir Hugh Robert Dixon, who demolished the original house and in 1901 built in its place a grand residence he named ‘Stalheim’. The building was designed by John Quentin Bruce, who also designed Electra House and the Grand Lodge of Freemasons in the city.
The building was purchased by the Bonython family in 1908 and renamed ‘Carclew’. The house remained in their hands until 1965 when it purchased by the Corporation of the City of Adelaide. The site was proposed by the Premier Don Dunstan as the location for the proposed Festival Hall before the Adelaide Festival Centre was built on the South side of the Torrens River. After the State Government purchased the building in 1978 it became the home of the Carclew Youth Performing Arts Centre.